Orosi Valley is a breathtaking district in the southeast of Cartago province, Costa Rica. It is nearby to San Jose, the city of innovation and technology. The valley is serene and beautiful surrounded by lush green landscapes, majestic pine trees and the pristine Reventazon river. The Orosi Valley is one of the hidden gems of Costa Rica. It is a perfect getaway from the hustle of city life and to unwind amidst nature. Here, we have curated some of the best places to visit and fun things to do in the mesmerizing Orosi Valley.
Things to do in Orosi Valley
1) Learn About The History Of Orosi Valley: Orosi Valley is historically rich and is a paradise for all curious souls. The valley has one of Costa Rica’s most historic landmark, Iglesia de San Jose de Orosi which is the oldest church in the country. The church has stunning architecture and intricate designs that only help us wonder about the extraordinary capabilities of the artisans and their attention to details. The church is surrounded by an amazing garden having exquisite sculptures and exotic species of flowers. If you want to learn more about the history of the church and the Orosi valley make sure to visit the nearby museum. The museum consists of artifacts, paintings and documents from the past that gives you a glimpse of the bygone era.
2) Explore The Ruins Of Ujarras: These ruins have an interesting legend associated with them which goes way back to the early 15th Century. The church was miraculously built in this area and has been a safe haven for the local people and has also saved the valley from attacks in the past. The church turned into ruins because of floods and major earthquakes. Today, the ruins are a spectacular place to enjoy nature and click some amazing photographs. It is a perfect spot for having a picnic with your friends and family and relaxing on a Sunday.
3) Visit The Stunning Lankester Botanical Gardens: The valley stuns you with amazing varieties of flowering plants. The Lankester Gardens is one of the most visited tourist destinations. There are amazing species of orchids and heliconias. The structure of the garden has been inspired by breathtakingly beautiful Japanese gardens.
4) Get Mesmerized By The Mirador: Mirador is a synonym used for a scenic view and the country is full of them. However, the Orosi Mirador is one of the most famous in Costa Rica and gives you a picturesque view of the valley. You can relax and unwind while watching the stunning sunset. The viewpoint is surrounded by barbeque grills, resting places, tables and some exquisite artwork.
5) Enjoy Amidst Nature At Tapanti National Park: The National Park is the wettest area in Costa Rica and resembles nothing less than a rainforest. It is a native habitat for many exotic wildlife species like jaguarundi, ocelots and tapirs. The park also has many nice hiking trails that provide you with a magnificent view of the National Park and you can also come across some majestic and towering waterfalls. The park is a great spot for bird watchers and for people who want to witness the largest butterfly species present in the country.
6) Relax In Charrarra: This exotic reserve is situated on the serene lake Cachi and it serves both as a recreational park and playground for people of all age groups. The park is surrounded by majestic mountains from all side giving you a feel of being in a private luxurious resort. Charrarra is a famous spot among tourists as well as locals. The place has restaurants serving delicious food or you can enjoy a barbeque with your friends and gobble on some yummy food while soaking in the picturesque view. There are several other activities that visitors can enjoy like horse riding, swimming or boating in the Cachi lake.
7) Discover The Aroma Of Coffee: Costa Rica is world-renowned for its coffee and the Orosi valley is the heart where you can find authentic coffee beans. The coffee plantations can be viewed easily as you explore the valley. You can enjoy a coffee tour and learn about the different varieties of coffee and their method of processing the beans right from the very beginning. There are many small and locally owned coffee farms that can offer you interactive and informative coffee tours.
8) Marvel At The Irazu Volcano National Park: It is one of the most popular tourist destinations and is surrounded by high peaks. The Irazu Volcano is the “highest active volcano” in Costa Rica. You can view the craters created by the lava eruption and also some towering lava rocks. The Irazu Volcano National Park is not only home to the active volcano but also is a habitat for some exotic wildlife and amazing fauna. The park also has some good hiking trails that provide you with a stunning view of the park. The park has an entry fee of 15$ and is open from 8 am till 3:30 pm.
9) Best Food Options: The valley is influenced by many cultures and traditions which is clearly reflected in the amazing food options. The most common food items are chicken, seafood and beef. You can find local treats easily while exploring the city and they are a budget-friendly option. You can enjoy tempting burgers, Italian pasta and pizzas, fluffy doughnuts and hot piping coffee at every café. If you are looking for a fine dining experience then there are several resorts like Tilajari Resort, Hotel Lavas and Hotel Las Brisas. These resorts not only provide you with exceptional food but also quality service and top-notch hospitality.
The Orosi Valley inhabits one of Costa Rica’s oldest communities and is like a piece of heaven on Earth. The valley has become popular among explorers who are always on the lookout for something unique, stunning and amazing and this picturesque valley does not disappoint in any way. It is surrounded by bountiful nature in every possible corner and is a perfect place for a weekend getaway destination in Costa Rica.
You can learn more about the valley and its beauty in the youtube videos